HEATHERS at THE OTHER PALACE, LONDON

L-R: Vivian Panka, Maddison Firth, Jasmine Beel
Photo credit: Pamela Raith


Tickets: Gifted

Date: 16th February 2023 

Seats: J5, J6 (Stalls)

Trailer: https://youtu.be/rUco8XjgTvg


Heathers finishes its sell-out run with this particular cast at The Other Palace on 19th February 2023, and although I had seen it before back in August, I was keen to see it again (or at least, again in that fantastic venue, as it is going on tour, and I do already have tickets...). 

It was well worth it. I will admit, I have a soft spot for Heathers, even though I'm well aware that it's not exactly everyone's cup of tea. It's dark. Really dark. With its themes of suicide, murder, eating disorders, bullying, homophobia, date rape, gun violence, and - without giving too much away - massive great bombs (and a Norwegian in the boiler room - that will make sense if you see it), it's certainly not for everyone. 

If that description makes Heathers sound thoroughly unpleasant, that wasn't my intention. The truth is, Heathers is a lot deeper than you might give it credit for, and these themes are handled in a way that 'shines a light' on the issues that teenagers have. That said, the light magnifies everything to high camp and adds some ghosts and comedy for good effect. 

The Songs

You see some musicals where the songs are great at the time, but it's hard to remember them after you've left the theatre. Not so with Heathers. From the opening number 'Beautiful' to the final exhilarating reprise of 'Seventeen', every song is a TUNE. Since seeing the show last night, a variety of melodies and one-liners have been floating around in my head (and occasionally accidentally humming out of my mouth - I'm sure the people around me during the interval and on the train home were particularly pleased about that). One in particular that I can't seem to shake (not that I'd want to) is 'I Say No', sung by Veronica at a pivotal moment in the show. 

The Staging 

The staging for Heathers is interesting. The main bulk of the story is set at Westerberg High School in Sherwood, Ohio. The set, with its lockers and big banner proclaiming the name of the school, is effective, telling us immediately where we are and who these people are we're watching. 

However, the story has other locations, such as Veronica's house, a church, and Heather Chandler's bedroom. Some work better than others when it comes to the set. The church is very effective, for example, with just the inclusion of some wooden benches and good lighting. Heather Chandler's bedroom, likewise. Yet Veronica's bedroom is less easy to imagine, especially when JD is downstairs and she is upstairs, apparently in her wardrobe. This was tricky to spot until it was spelled out in the lyrics. 

And we have to talk about the lighting. It is spot on (pun intended). In the now iconic moment during 'Candy Store', we have the three Heathers bathed in their signature colors (Chandler in red, Duke in green, and Macnamara in yellow). And there is Veronica, a little way off, not quite part of the crowd, but still, she has her own spotlight - hers is, of course, blue. Having these deep, vibrant, pure colours covering the characters so completely is a sudden and complete moment of joy. It's such a wonderful use of lighting that so clearly spells everything out for the audience that it makes me gasp every time I see it. 

What Stood Out?

I was so pleased to see 'my' Heathers. By that, I mean it was Maddison Firth playing Heather Chandler, Vivian Panka playing Heather Duke, and Jasmine Beel playing Heather Macnamara. I'd seen all three of these women playing the Heathers before, and they are such a great team in how they work off one another and how they all show their characters' distinct (but very much linked) personalities. When they entered for the first time to choir-like chants of 'Heather, Heather, and Heather!', a golden-white light behind them, I was in awe. No, they are not 'nice' characters (at first glance, at least), but who cares? They are fierce! 

Every single performer on the stage was exquisite, and I have no qualms about any of them. Having said that, some stood out more than others. All the Heathers were superb, but Maddison Firth as the mythic bitch herself, Heather Chandler, is someone I could watch and listen to all day long. I am very excited for the film version/pro shot to come out where she is playing this character. She's also a sweetheart, as we met her after the show in August, and she was kind enough to pose for photos - LOVE!



Vivian Panka is always a joy, but her rendition of 'I Will Never Shut Up Again' was truly something to behold. I am a sucker for an on-stage costume reveal - it never doesn't thrill - and in this song, when Heather Duke's green outfit is ripped away to reveal a red one (identical to Heather Chandler's), I couldn't help but cheer. The good news is, so did everyone else. What I really loved was that, despite trying to imitate Chandler, Duke kept her green shoelaces and knee-high socks (she never did quite reach the dizzying heights of her mentor, and that's probably a good thing). 

And then there was Jasmine Beel's solo, 'Lifeboat'. So many emotions; this is the first time Heather Macnamara is able to stand away from the spotlight of the other Heathers, and her song is so devastatingly sad and performed in such a stunning way that the audience, who had been fairly raucous throughout, was utterly silent. It was a pin-drop performance. 

I can't talk about Heathers without mentioning Erin Caldwell, who played Veronica. She is the damaged heart of the show, and I had never seen her perform before. She did the job magnificently, performing what might be my favourite song ('Dead Girl Walking') perhaps better than I've seen it done before. I'm excited to follow her career and see where she's going next, as I'd be happy to watch her perform in something else. 

I also really enjoyed the slow-motion sections. It worked beautifully, and it allowed for some truly comedic moments. 

Final Thoughts 

I adore Heathers, but that's not to say it's a perfect show. There are some staging issues, and the ending always strikes me as odd - after the murders, attempted suicides, and an actual bomb exploding, everyone just decides to like one another and get back to being 'Seventeen'. I'm fairly sure there will be some police involvement and not a little PTSD for those characters, but okay - we'll leave it on a high. 

The performance I attended was packed, and I would say the audience had, for the most part, seen it before. They went crazy when the Heathers entered; they cheered each famous line ('Lick it up!' 'F**k me gently with a chainsaw!' 'Mythic bitch!' 'How very!' and so on). It was fun, and the cast certainly appreciated it - many scrunchies were thrown on stage at the end. 

Finally, as I mentioned, this show is going on tour. I wonder how it will translate to different venues. The Other Palace is a wonderful space, and it suits the intimate air of Heathers perfectly. Will it work on larger stages and bigger venues? I'm sure some of the staging and choreography will have to change, and I'll be fascinated to see what happens. Roll on May! 

If you want tickets to the tour, you can find them here: https://www.heathersthemusical.com/tour

Book - it'll be 'Big Fun'!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: REBECCA at The Charing Cross Theatre, London

Review: BRONCO BILLY at The Charing Cross Theatre, London

Review: SLEEPING BEAUTY at The Hawth, Crawley